Thursday, November 29, 2012

Masking With Make-Up

"When I was your age...I wish I'd known that I already had everything I needed within myself to be happy, instead of looking for happiness at beauty counters."
                            -Ilene Beckerman

In our world, every face seems to be painted. Just like an artist, the face is a canvas being masked by a brush. The 'artists' of this world vary tremendously in style. You know what I'm talking about. 

The use of cosmetics is not an uncommon conversation for the Apostolic believers. Each church has different opinions of how much make-up should be condoned or if it all should be thrown away. 

In Jeremiah 4:30 scripture says, "And [when] thou [art] spoiled, what wilt thou do? Though thou clothest thyself with crimson, though thou deckest thee with ornaments of gold, though thou rentest thy face with painting, in vain shalt thou make thyself fair; [thy] lovers will despise thee, they will seek thy life."

It has been taught that make-up primarily is used to enhance sexual appeal. Thus, most churches deem cosmetics as immodest. 

The Bible doesn't directly preach against the use of make-up but in the most round-about way, we will find that using cosmetics is looked upon negatively.

Personally, I believe it is okay to wear light foundation/powder. Nothing that dramatically changes you, but merely cover minor blemishes. This is strictly my own thoughts. 

Beyond, the thought of cosmetics being used to enhance sexual appeal, the Bible tells us that we are made just the way God wants us. Why would we want to change that? The below scripture shows this. 

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made..." Psalms 139:14.

No comments:

Post a Comment